Thursday, December 30, 2021

What pride should dwell in this, our legacy?

 

                                                                (Note: Watch Paul and George move to look over John's shoulders)


At this time of upheaval and change, I’ve been thinking about events that shaped modern America. Psychologist Erik Erickson writes the 8th Life Cycle is to reflect on one’s legacy.

When I was younger, so much younger than today, I never needed anybody's help in any way (The Beatles, Help).

My awareness began with Kennedy’s assassination. Whether it’s remembered or conceived, my earliest memory is JFK’s funeral.

The bullet threads the 1960s including the deaths of Martin Luther King, Bobby Kennedy, Malcolm X, four Kent State students, and 58,220 causalities associated with the Vietnam Conflict.[1] Despite living in the shining city on the hill, violent death accompanied our youth.

As Vietnam ended, the corruption of Richard Nixon and Watergate watered the seeds of cynicism and mistrust toward government and each other. We stumbled from Ford to Carter amid malaise and gas lines towards a new day in America.

But now these days are gone I'm not so self-assured.

In 1980 Beatle John Lennon was murdered. We couldn’t imagine that the Dreamer had died. Our dreams of a better world withered.

Although Iran Contra exacerbated declining trust, the Berlin Wall came down, the Soviet Union collapsed, and democracy expanded in Eastern Europe. For a while, we “danced on the wall.”

The late 80s contrasted the collective hopes of Live Aid, Farm Aid, and starting families; against the devastation of crack cocaine, gangs, and AIDS.

Meanwhile, supermarket tabloids out- sold newspapers and created the conspiracy industry. Society was warped by celebrity and reality tv including a White Bronco, Kardashians, televised preachers, and Jonestown. We gasped as credible reports of pedophilia were lodged against Michael Jackson, myriads of Catholic Priests, Olympic and football physicians, and the Franklin Credit Union investigation.

Then came cable’s 24/7 news cycle and the pithlessness of ‘gotcha politics.’

I was at the Ranch Bowl when images from Paris depicted a mangled Mercedes and death of a Princess. For a while, hope turned to tragedy.  

On September 11th the nation was instantaneously transformed and once again we wept. The nation quivered between anger and fear as the War on Terror took American troops to Afghanistan, Iraq, and eventually Pakistan.

And now my life has changed in oh so many ways.

Somehow, it seemed, through the fault of no one in particular, we changed. The rapid pace of technology brought out the best and worst of us. Favor towards marriage equality moved quickly while pluralism turned some towards bitterness and resentment.

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down.

On January 6th, President Trump’s failed coup defined him, his followers, and national politics. The world looked on in horror as Americans held their breath. Sandwiched between ideological divides, everything became political. Otherwise mundane medical issues such as masks and vaccines were woven into shadowy caverns of conspiracies fed by manipulative news outlets, feckless blogs, and social media.

My independence seems to vanish in the haze.

All the while our kids grew up, little league games gave way to graduations and diapers. Full houses downsized to empty nests and the America Dream teetered on nightmares of division, unfettered anger, entitlement, and identity politics. And yet we prayed for our kids and pondered the society we’ll bequeath them.

What is our legacy?

Are we defined by fear and anxiety, a $28 trillion dollar monument to mismanagement, and manipulated societal division? TV depicts street altercations with spilled blood and tear gas while apologists line up to excuse insurrection and lies. Strangely, we fund charities and readily assist after natural disasters while too many refuse to act toward the common good.

Now I find I've changed my mind and opened up the doors.

When I look for leadership, I am drawn to Dr. Fauci who side-stepped politics to  navigated a pandemic, Congresswoman Liz Cheney for punching a bully in the nose, and Senator Amy Klobuchar for articulating Midwestern common sense while others spewed deceit or complied with silence.

Help me get my feet back on the ground.

What pride should dwell in this, our legacy?

I am inspired watching a palsied student willing his uncooperative body towards class, or watching the sunrise over Iowa’s bluffs bringing the unwritten day. Friends and colleagues offer kindness while my wife steadies our home. But my greatest hope comes from our children and students who remain nonplussed by American pluralism.

I know that I just need you like I've never done before. Won't you please, please help me?

No comments:

Post a Comment